These fact sheets focus on poison prevention topics and can be printed for use in waiting rooms or at community and educational events.
- Safe Use of Art Products includes basic information on hazards from some common materials used in art and craft activities. Explains the ACMI label wording found on many art products.
- Back to School Poison Prevention for Parents and Educators includes information on back to school safety when it comes to medication, school supplies, hand sanitizer, peanut allergies, and plants.
- Creepers, Crawlers, and Stingers: Guide to Prevention, Bites and Stings reviews insects which are common to the central and eastern Virginia region along with prevention guidelines to prevent bites and stings.
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning describes basic facts regarding where carbon monoxide comes from, early symptoms that can be noted, early treatment advice and poison prevention measures.
- Food Safety Cleaning Tips gives advice on handling produce, cleaning, preparing food, and serving food.
- Laundry Detergent Pods describes why the style of product packaging is such a problem and provides poison prevention recommendations to prevent exposures to young children.
- First Aid for Poisoning describes basic first aid measures for skin, eye, ingested and inhaled poisons.
- Household Cleaning Products describes commonly used household products and poison risks. Also discusses the purpose of the different types of ingredients and proper disposal of unused household cleaning products.
- Keep Children Safe from Poisons summarizes simple actions to prevent unintentional poisoning in children under 6 years of age.
- Lyme Disease (VDOH) answers questions on what lyme disease is, how it is contracted, symptoms, how it spreads, treatment, prevention, and tick removal. Document provided by the Virginia Department of Health.
- What Should I Do with Old and Unused Medicines? describes safe ways to appropriately dispose of liquid, capsule, liquid-gel and tablet forms of medications that are either outdated or no longer needed.
- Peanut and Allergies highlights general information regarding peanut allergies, foods to avoid, symptoms, treatment, and high risk areas to avoid.
- Pepper Spray Clothing Decontamination (ENG) gives instructions on handle pepper spray on washable clothing and non-washable clothing.
- Pets and Poisons describes potential toxins in the home that can affect family pets.
- Plant Safety: Prevent Plant Poisoning lists commonly poisonous and not poisonous plants that may be in your yard or inside your home.
- Poison Prevention for Babysitters describes common household poisons that children will have a poison exposure to by eating or drinking, pouring onto the skin or spraying into the eyes or face. It also provides prevention tips during the babysitting hours and also basic information a babysitter will need if an emergency occurs.
- Poisons and Pregnancy describes concerns with exposures from household paints, pesticides, seafood and medications during the course of pregnancy and breast feeding.
- Snake Bites includes basic information about Virginia snakes, bite prevention, symptoms, and first aid for snake bites.
- E Cigarettes and vaping includes factual information on e-cigarettes/vaping for parents, guardians or caregivers.
- COVID-19: Poison prevention while cleaning provides simple tips to keep everyone safe while cleaning the home.
- COVID-19: Hand sanitizer safety includes information and prevention on a recall of methanol hand sanitizers.
- Marijuana (Cannabis): What Parents Need to Know. includes information about marijuana from the public health perspective. Describes today's marijuana potency, concentrates, childhood poisonings and youth use information.
- En Español- Marihuana (canabis) Incluye informacion sobre la marihuana con un enfoque en la salud publica. Describe la potencia de la marihuana de hoy, los concentrados, envenenamientos en los niños e informacion del uso en los jovenes.
- Virginia Poison Center - English and Virginia Poison Center - Spanish provide an introduction to the Virginia Poison Center along with poison prevention tips and basic first aid measures for treating poisons.
- Babys First Years describes basic information on poison hazards and potential problems during an infant’s first year of life.
- Emergency Preparedness describes chemical and biological release events and the role the Virginia Poison Center has in assisting with emergency response.
NEW! Social Media Graphics
- Marijuana/Cannabis graphics includes messaging on accidental marijuana exposures and reasons to call the poison center.
- The Snakebite Discharge provides Q&A's for released patients of snake bites
- Snakebite Discharge (Spanish)
- The Poison Digest is a quarterly e-newsletter that's packed with poison prevention tips to keep you poison free.